The Helena City Commission agree to the following points on recycling December 11, 2013. City staff affirmed that they would be able to present a detailed proposal for permanent plastics recycling at the Transfer Station in January 2014.
- Staff provide a formal proposal for plastics in one month that includes bids for equipment, determines staff needs (or partner, e.g. Helena Industries on busy weekends), and outlines a location at the facility for collection.
- The efficiency study will consider recycling as part of waste management in the City of Helena and Scratch Gravel Landfill District, including potential partnerships and future recycling opportunities-not just current operations.
- Support more frequent chipping and removal of green waste at the Transfer Station.
- That Transfer Station Recommendations 1 & 2, major capital projects, be held off until further action by the Commission following the efficiency study.
- Evaluation of the Blue Bag program.
I will post an update when the Commission receives the staff proposal.
- Matt E